I was kindly nominated by Callie Garp for the Very Inspiring Blog Award. I was so happy to find her comment saying she nominated me because this is a relatively new blog for my artwork. Thank you! So here’s what this is all about and little more about me.
1. Display the award logo on your blog.
2. Link back to the person who nominated you.
3. State seven things about yourself.
4. Nominate fifteen other bloggers for this award and link to them.
5. Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements.
Seven Things About Me:
1. Before I learned the encaustic process I would sit in my living room melting crayons on to paper and objects in a cardboard box. I’m sure my roommates thought I was crazy. I would then photograph these creations and paint them in oil. That was the year I figured out oil painting isn’t my thing. I’m not bad at it but I enjoyed making the physical objects that were my subject more and I think the photographs hold their own.
2. Six years ago I was diagnosed with allergies to Wheat, Corn, and Soy. That sounds terrible but it’s not so bad, I’m still alive with the help of my good friend Rice. You can’t fight it much when you have no choice. It certainly changes your diet and although I miss certain things, I’ve learned to try and like different foods, and some stuff actually taste better gluten free. Of course it helps that I’ve become a gluten free baking fiend.
3. I love all art forms not just visual art that I have chosen a career path in. I have performed on stage in musicals and choir performances since middle school. The opportunities I’ve had in the music, theatre, dance department at my university is what I will miss most when I graduate this spring. I was able to fulfill a lifelong goal of learning pointe in ballet. I am so grateful I had a teacher that encouraged late beginners. I am working my body hard to be able to catch up to the level of the other dancers and I am currently learning choreography to perform. I am proud of this accomplishment.
4. Spring is coming and I’m excited because my birthday is coming up and also Easter (which sometimes falls on my birthday). Easter is my favorite holiday not because I’m religious but because I like to celebrate spring which is also my favorite season. I’m a spring baby through and through. Easter is a very pretty holiday with pastel colors, flowers, eggs, chicks, and bunnies. Plus it’s not overly commercial like Christmas and Valentine’s. Last year I hosted an Easter tea party for some of my classy lady friends and I’ve already begun planning this year’s party. I like to go all out baking and decorated to transforming my living room into an Alice in Wonderland-esque garden.
5. A few months ago I cut off 20+ inches of hair. I went from waist length hair with full bangs to a Twiggy/Jean Seberg inspired pixie cut and never looked back. I nearly gave my hair dresser a heart attack but I was ready for a change. I had thought about getting a pixie for a little while and I’m glad I finally got up the guts to do it. Surprisingly I get more comments about my hair now than ever before. I suppose long straight and sometimes curly locks are overrated :P
6. I like vintage things and I have a few collections. I think going to fleamarkets while growing up instilled a life long love for thrifting in me. I’ve inherited a few vintage clothes and jewelry. I own three rotary dial telephones, I always have at least one plugged in for use. I have an ever growing record collection as well as four record players. One suitcase style. Two panasonic stereo turntables; one for home, one at college. And a 1960s record console that needs repair my parents snatched for free from the curb and gave me for christmas. And recently my collection of pyrex began when I inherited a number of pieces. As my roommate says I’m from a different era. I just have an interest in old things. I like the style but I also like the story behind them. Even if it’s not the prettiest pattern I would never replace my grandmother’s casserole dish.
7. I love fashion and feel like I’ve never stopped playing dress up. Sometimes I follow fashion news and bloggers but most of the time I wear whatever I want. It’s amazing how much an outfit can turn you’re mood around. I wear clothes that makes me happy and I love filling my closet with all sorts of options. Plus I have theatre friends that like to throw lots of themed parties which is fun because I love an excuse to dress in costume too.
Blogs I nominate (in no particular order):